View Single Post

Old 05-04-2021, 06:32 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,199 Times in 2,798 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
I may have some good news for you, Lowes carries an 'OLD work' kit for ceiling fans that can be installed from inside the house. It will support 75 pounds. That leaves the wiring, which will require attic access. IMHO, work with the electrician to schedule the work as early as possible in the morning. At least this approach will limit time in the attic. I have used R&A, ECI, Leonhart's and Galaxy for various projects that required attic access.
Good advise. I have used one of these kits, very easy. Make a hole the size of the required junction box and an expandable bracket goes through the hole that attaches to the ceiling joists on either side. There are creative ways to snake romex electrical wire through the attic without having to do much crawling through blown in insulation. I use a long thin fiberglass pole that has sections that can be attached to reach the desired length. It is the same fiberglass pole that I can attach a wire brush to one end to clean out the chimney of my pellet stove up north. The hardest part of the job is snaking the romex up from a wall switch into the attic, which often requires drilling a hole through a stud inside the top of the wall. However, some new ceiling fans can simply be hardwired and then controlled by a battery powered remote control, no wall switch wiring necessary. Good Luck : )