View Single Post

Old 05-05-2021, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
I debated about whether to stick my nose in here, but then decided to go ahead. . .

I realize the TOTV Team thinks this is a nice idea, but I feel like I need to make the team and other TOTVers aware of the fact that obituaries can be gold mines for scammers.

Obituaries reveal a lot of information that can be used to take advantage of the bereaved and to steal the identity of the deceased.

I have noticed that in recent times, some obituaries include not only names and dates, as usual, but also a whole lot of personal information.

As a matter of course, obituaries are made public on funeral home sites, and I am sure there are scumbags who cruise those for opportunities. But before posting additionally on a public forum, especially one geared to seniors, may I suggest thinking about the potential for unintended consequences.

A couple of years ago, I heard a speaker give a presentation about scams that target seniors. He brought up this issue.

Here is an article with more information and advice:

Grieving Loved Ones Targeted in Obituary Scams

Boomer
This is great insight regarding scams. We need to be vigilant even when it comes to our dearly departed. It warrants stating - Scammers don't give a rip about your or your family and especially your grief! Bear in mind they are all THIEVES!