View Single Post

Old 05-08-2021, 07:04 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,901 Times in 914 Posts
Default Employment environment is normal economics at work

LOL! its very easy to blame the government for normal economic forces . . . but ultimately, the current employment environment is normal economics working . . . the world has just been very easy and comfortable for a long stretch of time, at least 40 years, and we are facing natural forces which have been at bay for 100 years. . . now, not so much. . . more employment survival skills are needed and more employer adaptability is required.

About that Giant Payrolls Miss... - The Big Picture

highlights:

If you need to hire you must increase wages; if you want to hire (but cannot increase wages), you better offer a compelling workplace or prepare for unfilled positions and higher than normal turnover.

• Employers are not competing against unemployment insurance, they are COMPETING AGAINST EACH OTHER FOR TALENT. How so many are missing this is perplexing. This is how the market operates; prices rise when demand goes up. That I need to even remind some of this is proof how badly damaging ideological blinders are to fundamental economic analysis.

yes, my daughter quit a restaurant job with no benefits for a lower paying job with benefits and a much nicer management team. read point 1 above.

two, having worked in finance with programming skills, I have eliminated jobs starting about 20 years ago. Someone gave me Martha's report, which she did daily and took her about 4-6 hours to prepare. them she emailed it out to people. They gave me the report to perform, and after some work, i reduced the report time to 5 minutes. Then I worked with the corporate automation and web team and it was done with automation overnight. . . now I need something to do! two people without work!

Current environment, colleagues use my reports which are updated with a click of a button, and they can customize the report to any variable / meta data they want to see. . . that is why there is very little opportunities in the corporate world or the middle class. .. and the automation continues to eat jobs, so there are fewer high quality jobs, unless you have a unique skill set which the organization needs. . . i had two scheduled lay off dates last year, neither happened as they used my skills in other places. . . but long time employees did get laid off, and of course, they were upset after so many comfortable years, but most aren't suited to today's competitive work environment.

So don't blame the government for job loss, that's just your personal scapegoat for events beyond your control . . . we all want to be needed, and we all want what we think is the reward for the best we can do, but no one is irreplaceable, you are on your own in a capitalist/corporatist world to survive. Yea, it sucks to be laid off, I have been three times, and dodged two last year. I have been jobless for three years, from 2001 to 2004 because no one would hire me. I didn't blame the government, it was the economy and my personal constraints I had kids to raise and would not move. . . . and for the financial planning saying back then, have 3-6 months of savings between jobs. . . didn't quite work . my former boss also was out of work for 3 years while looking. . . we didn't blame the government

That's what made this country so great is the creative work ethic of opportunity. That opportunity has created alot of wealth for those who worked hard and smart in most industries. . . there are choices, but one only gets what they work for, not what they wish for. . .

BTDT guy

i pushed the post button on the prior thread one minute after it was closed.