View Single Post

Old 05-12-2021, 08:48 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,875 Times in 949 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
My experience with heat pumps the compressor last about 11 years just after the warranty out. Usually the compressor replacement is almost same cost as the outside unit. So most cases not worth repairing. inside unit should last longer. Usually thing’s going to fail are A coil rust out, maybe fan motor, or relay.
Warranty, they know far better than we consumers do what will fail and when.

Often like a tire warranty, it is prorated based on wear-remaining tread. The warranty is based on list price. Not, what you can buy the tire for so it is not as valuable as we think or are led to believe.

Worth repairing or does replacing make sense. Air conditioning units have gotten more efficient. To do that they have things like multi speed motors etc. Parts, like a multi-speed motor if, when, they fail are far more expensive.

There is a time were we are beating a dead horse. The line is not as clear as it is presented by the guy, the company trying to sell you a new system or the guy trying to convince you to do an expensive repair.

I believe in Florida AC life is about 14 years.

Repairs? I see it like light bulbs in a typical chandelier. Average bulb is rated at xxxx hours. You climb up a ladder and replace one. A week later another one blows.
Sometimes it makes sense when one blows to change them all.

Reality, behind me is my ceiling fan with four bulbs in it. One is blown. Change them all,
change one, or wait till another blows and be forced then to deal with it?