View Single Post

Old 05-20-2021, 07:24 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhooks View Post
Funny that electric seems to be the future for many. Disposing of batteries, not easy. Even with solar and wind there is not enough electricity produced to sustain this electric movement. Group think surmises that road vehicles consume the vast majority of fossil fuels, not true. Ocean going vessels shipping products consume the most. Buying into this “electric trend” as some sort of antidote to us having a greener and better life is a joke at best.
I agree. This whole electric fad is not better for the environment.

I'm surprised that ocean going vessels use the most fossil fuels. I would think that it would be airplanes. There are so many more planes in the air on a daily basis than there are ships. I would imagine that one ship crossing the ocean would burn more fuel than a plane doing the same trip, but when you consider that there are about 10,000 planes in the air at any given time in the U.S. it seems that as a group they are going to burn more fuel.

But people tend to not consider the energy that it takes to make batteries and how the electricity that charges them is created. And as you you point out the disposal is not environmentally friendly.

I much prefer electric golf carts and I have one here. If I could extend the range that would be perfect. But as far as electric cars go, I see a bit problem with the time that it takes to charge them. If you're on a long trip and go 200 miles before needing a charge, you're going to have to stop for hours to recharge.

I think that if environmentalists were really concerned about air quality we'd see a move to natural gas. It burns more cleanly than gasoline producing a fraction of the pollutants. It is plentiful, current cars can easily be converted and we have infrastructure in place to distribute it. People with natural gas in their homes could add a filling station and current gas station could easily be converted. We have natural gas lines running everywhere in this country. It would be much easier than creating electric charging stations.

And if President Biden's goal of having all electric cars by 2035 comes to fruition, what happens to all of he gasoline cars in existence now? And do they think about people that can't afford to buy a new car?

China is responsible for 30% of the world's air pollution. The U.S. is responsible for 15%. If we cut ours in half it's a small dent.

I prefer electric golf carts but I think that they idea of all electric cars is pure folly.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.