Thread: Girl Talk
View Single Post

Old 03-20-2009, 07:36 PM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
I really hadn't planned to talk about Brutus on TOTV. Or anywhere. It just happened. "Girl Talk" is the friendliest place on TOTV that I know. And you are all so kind with your comments. As dog owners, I know you understand completely what I'm experiencing.

It is so hard to make a decision when a dog's quality of life just isn't there any more. That is what I'm struggling with. I have to put on my big girl panties and make the right decision.

Brutus has a brain tumour and started having seizures on Sunday. He is on medication to control the seizures, but of course the brain tumour continues to grow. And the medication has some very nasty side effects. I have to face the fact that Brutus is not enjoying life any more.

But he is still eating and glad to see if I leave and return. Fireboy isn't back in The Villages for three weeks. Of course I want to keep Brutus alive. At times I can convince myself that it isn't time for Brutus to cross the Rainbow Bridge.

But I don't want to be selfish. It is all about whether Brutus can still get some enjoyment from life. I owe it to him to do the right thing. He depends on me. It is hard.
Barefoot,

I am going to share something with you here that may help. But, up front, I must say to you that if you choose to listen to this, you will cry. I did. But it helped to clarify some things for me, and with the hope that it may help you, too, I am sending it along, as a cyberfriend.

First the backstory:

Yesterday, as I was driving home from the landscaper's place, I was listening to NPR like I always do in the car. The show was Fresh Air and the interview was with a veterinarian who has written a book called Speaking for Spot.

I missed the first part of the show, but I tuned in just before the vet discussed the very issue you are facing. And she addressed it beautifully. She speaks not only as a vet, she also tells us about her experience with her own dogs. And she gives suggestions about how to know when. And I listened. And I cried, just a little bit, tearing up you know. But she answered some things for me.

I have been through this 6 times in my life, and will probably have to face number 7, fairly soon, maybe. Annie is old as I said. And she goes off alone to sleep during the day instead of napping in the rooms where I am. There are other changes, too. I see them. But today she sniffed butts with the neighbors' beagle and seemed to enjoy it. And she looks out the windows sometimes to see what's going on in her territory. She cannot hear anything, but her eyes are still pretty good I think. So even though I know her hip hurts in spite of the medicine she takes, she does have some fun here and there still. But she is old, and growing older fast it seems.

I had planned when I heard this NPR show yesterday to link it into TOTV in the Pets Forum because there are so many dog lovers here, and I thought it might be helpful to someone.

That was before I read your earlier post. When I saw that one, I thought about linking it then. But I was concerned it would seem like it was just too much. Then we left for a while. But when I returned home just now, I looked in and saw your recent post where you share more about what you are facing at this very moment.

And, Barefoot, after reading what you just wrote, I want to offer you this link to listen to only if you feel you can. You will find the part where she speaks of when the time comes. You will cry. I know. I listened though. And I learned some things that will help me when and if we have to decide for Annie.

Barefoot, I offer you this link in the spirit of one dog lover to another. But it will not be easy to listen to. But this vet is one kind and wonderful lady. Hearing her helped me get a little more clarity on the sad thing we sometimes have to do for one of our dearest and very best friends.

If you feel that you are up to it and want to hear from one who knows well about the Rainbow Bridge, just click on "Listen Now." But please understand that I do not mean to be intrusive in any way. It is just that when I saw your last post, I felt I needed to at least offer something that had helped me, on the chance it could help you, too. The part I am talking about is later in the show. I missed the first part. I heard only the part about making the final decision. I think you can skip to that part if you want to listen to it.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...ryId=102105836

Take care, Barefoot. I thought a long time about whether I should send this or not. It is hard. I know. And I understand if you do not want to hear it.

Boomer

Addendum: Barefoot, I just went back into the link and realized that the first part is about cancer in dogs. I did not listen to it, just went long enough to hear what it was about. That part could be particularly difficult for you and I just wanted to make sure I let you know about what was there. I do not want to do anything to make you feel worse.

Last edited by Boomer; 03-20-2009 at 08:30 PM.