View Single Post

Old 03-25-2009, 01:03 PM
Sage

It makes sense & I totally understand your reasoning, however, I doubt if my husband will ever want to give up his own "stuff" which is too numerous to name.

We still have two years or less to go until retirement; all along our yearly visits to coastal Maine have been to find a nice small town such as we are used to in Vermont (but with water) in which to retire. I'm not exaggerating when I say we've been up and down each and every peninsula in Maine and a few islands.

Maniacs are similar to native Vermonters and down to earth.

Guess we've lived in Vermont too long (40 years).....so when we made two other attempts to relocate to Florida, once on the East coast when the children were not in school yet (returned after one year, right back to Vermont).........then 15 years ago, after they had graduated college and married, etc., we sold our home and moved to the Gulf Coast and bought a condo on the beach in Venice below Sarasota. The beach had just been rejuvenated and the town during all our previous visits had a kind of home town feeling and a "center of town". It seemed to be a real "Main Street" kind of town.

We were puzzled by the coughing and almost pnuemonia like symptoms, not realizing it was being caused each time by the "red tide".......Venice had other problems, as pretty as it was. We were the only 49 year olds in our condo on the beach;-) Now, we've caught up.

Also, all of our years vacationing in Florida, I never gave rodents a thought. Ever.
Until Venice. Long story which I won't go into here. But they were there. In the Palm trees, in the sewers, running around the air conditioners, in the intracoastal waterway, in the toilets. I know TV does not have that problem.

Four months after we moved down to Florida, we flew right back to Vermont; the main reason was that my mom who had just lost her husband, moved down with us, and we realized the full extent of her Alzheimers Disease while she was living with us in the condo........so it was best to return "home" to our support system and hers. We sold the condo after totally redecorating it.

We had vacationed extensively on both coasts of Florida, Sanibel Island,up and down each coast and of course Disney World each year so we know what the climate is like.......however, New England and Vermont in particular always draw us back like a magnet..............this is the dilemma and I don't want to make a third mistake. I'm thinking perhaps it might be easier to stay in Vermont or Maine.......and just winter in Florida if we have more winters like the one just past.

Once before we had a tag sale and "simplified" and got rid of a lot of our "stuff"...........now, 15 years back, we have accumulated it all again and MORE. I'm sure others have the same pull and tug, not knowing which way to go. We love Vermont and we love Maine. Florida obviously does not have all the sand and junk they put on the roads up here.......nor do the people have all the "chores".......we just put it all away and now have to take out all the deck furniture and outdoor stuff again. It's definitely cleaner in Florida. We shall see......once we are retired and take another trip down. Now that spring is beginning up here, we won't think much of Florida again until next winter. Thanks for your answer re the tools, etc.