Thread: Girl Talk
View Single Post

Old 03-27-2009, 09:19 AM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by uujudy View Post
Bare, we're dying to know! (dyeing? lol) How did your hair color adventure turn out? What did you have done? What did you ask them to do? Did your hair turn out the way you hoped it would? Do you have any photos you can share? Was it really inexpensive? Inquiring minds want to know.

The last time I had my hair colored I asked for subtle highlights. I hoped for thin little SUBTLE highlights all over sort of like you used to get with a "frosting cap." Remember those? They were like shower caps with tiny holes all over and the stylist pulled your hair through with something like a crochet hook? And remember how much it hurt? But the results were usually worth the pain, at least that's how I remember it. I tried to explain it to my young stylist, but she had never heard of a frosting cap. I didn't want her to USE one, but I wanted results like I used to get with it, so I kept repeating the words "subtle" and "highlights."

When she was finished my entire head was a strange, shimmery copper color (much like an astronaut's face mask) with bright white skunk stripes all over the top! WIDE skunk stripes. Yikes! I've been afraid to have it colored again. I don't know what to ask for. Apparently the definitions of subtle and highlights have changed over the years. Does anybody know what the new terminology is?
JudyJudyJudy,

How well I remember that cap. And how well I know the horrors of a botched dye-job. Back in the days of that plastic cap plus crochet hook, I ended up with a badly done "frosting." I tried to cover those streaks with brown. Not a good plan. I turned my hair olive green.

Subtle highlights these days are called "spotlights" in my neck of the woods. I think sometimes spotlights are just in front though. Make sure how that translates. But something tells me that the one who got a hold of you did not have a clue about much of anything.

Later on in the thread, you said that you saw a color pen on television. I hope we can track that down. And I hope it comes in darker colors, too.

Here's why......

My hair grows really fast. I cannot get by much more than a month before those white roots start to glare. I am white right on top and even though the rest of the color still looks fine, if I let that white top get too long, from a distance it looks like Friar Tuck's haircut. I think his haircut was called a tonsure. Anyway, from a distance, that white top starts to look like it is scalp. Hence, the Friar Tuck haircut (or hair shave) look.

So you can bet I am there with my life savings money, just turning it over to my hairdresser. I am extremely loyal to my hairdresser. She saved me from pink hair years ago when my former hairdresser could not seem to figure out that it was time to change from semi-permanent to permanent color. She is one heck of a chemist, knows color like nobody I have ever seen. But she is close to my age and I fear she will retire. I have told her that I will stalk her once a month if she dares to retire. We always have such a good time, too, while she is coloring my hair. We can talk about hormones and such. She is not one of those young ones wearing those 5-inch high-heeled shoes while standing on her feet all day.

Ironically, when this thread started about a year ago, I think the first discussion was about hair color. I was going on and on about Wella and could I find Wella in TV. Wella is the only one that will cover my while roots.

She uses Wella on the roots and I get spotlights every three months or so, sometimes I get highlights, always subtle though. She also uses something she calls "clear." I think it is a Goldwell product. It goes on last and what it does is it brings back the shine. (I am tellin' ya, it is a piece of work.)

So this gets pretty expensive because my hair grows kind of fast and sometimes I would like to be able to just do something to the roots with a Crayola or something like that, only better, when those roots first come in. Not only to save some money, but if I am away from home and need my roots done, whatever would I do? I have had too many bad dye jobs over the years. Green. Pink. And a few others in between. Not up to taking a chance again.

So anyway, Judy, I hope this pen comes in a color to help me get those roots on top and stretch the time in between those hairdresser appointments. I don't know if I can really make it work right though. A couple of times I have actually had people say that they did not think my hair was dyed. That is the best compliment you can get on a dye-job as far as I am concerned. So I will probably continue to pay through the nose to get the expertise. But I want to learn more about that pen, just in case.

Boomer

Last edited by Boomer; 03-27-2009 at 12:42 PM.