Thread: PODS location
View Single Post

Old 06-30-2021, 07:43 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,867 Times in 787 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller703 View Post
Where are PODS dropped off for unloading? Are they placed on the street or in the driveway? How long are they allowed to be there?
A couple weeks ago I tried to order up a POD in Allentown, PA, about 1050 miles from The Villages. I was told none would be available for six weeks, and it would cost $4,000 for a 10’ POD. So I called up U-Haul and rented a truck with a 10 foot box for a week or so later. Rental with insurance and taxes was $2250, and gas at 12 miles a gallon was about $300. I picked up the truck Thursday morning, and my son and I loaded it to the gills, mostly with books, CDs, DVDs, and bookcases. And one chair. I left the Allentown area at 3:30, spent the night in Roanoke, and parked in my driveway in The Villages at 7:30 Friday evening. It took 2 1/2 hours to unload the truck and, using my hand truck, wheel the boxes into the house. Then I swept and mopped the truck, showered, turned in the truck, and was home by noon. Driving a truck that short is easy—it uses a regular parking place! Lots of power. Pretty comfortable. I just wish it had cruise control.

Now I’m a frog—here till I croak.