View Single Post

Old 07-02-2021, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrumpyOldMan View Post
This is not new, it was recorded in 1963 by Simon and Garfunkel ( I am sure most if not everyone has heard the original). Simon summed up the song's lyrics as an ode about people not being able to communicate with each other and the growing divide that was resulting.

It seems to resonate with me today.

The original was a very lovely melodic almost melancholy performance, but if you listen closely to the words, they express anger and frustration.

This cover from 2016 is a reimagining of the original. A very emotional and disturbing expression of that anger and frustration. The lead singer has an amazing voice and his control is just stunning.

While Disturbed is a Metal band, I believe this performance goes beyond genre and is a masterpiece. Simon seems to have agreed since he posted this to his own social media, in 2016, when it came out and praised the interpretation.

This is posted as an expression of my own frustration and anger. It so accurately represents my own feeling at the lack of our ability to communicate with each other.

This is absolutely NOT a political statement/post. This is a post about the state of our society. Our obsession with social media where people talk without saying anything, read without understanding anything. And our bowing down to (obsession with) the "neon god we made" - technology/social media.

Warning, this is a very powerful and emotional performance, it may not be suitable for everyone.

Disturbed - The Sound Of Silence [Official Music Video] - YouTube

Wow!
I did not expect such an operatic performance.
It gave me goose pimples. He has an epic voice. truly haunting.

Thanks for sharing