View Single Post

Old 07-02-2021, 09:41 PM
Sage
Default Appliance Repair by Jeff Rapier

Our Whirlpool refrigerator, 13 years old, starting acting up. We have been lucky, never a malfunction in all the years (not even the dreaded icemaker) until now. Fan in freezer goes on and off every few seconds. Ice builds up in one spot on back wall of freezer.

I called Mrs. Beck (Beck Appliiance Repair which is excellent) but she said their technician could not come due to a grave illness in the family. So I did a search on TOTV, from which I have gotten many good tips in the past.

After a call to one or two appliance repairmen who couldn't come, I found a couple of recommendations for Jeff Rapier and made an appt. He concluded the evaporator fan motor was the likely culprit. We okayed ordering a new one. He called on a Saturday afternoon and said the part was in and offered to install it then. We agreed, he came and the repair was done quickly. So we wrote him a check for $255 to cover the cost of his visit and the part and he left.

However, within a few minutes of putting the food back the freezer started doing the same thing it was doing before the repair. My husband immediately called and informed him that the repair had not worked. Jeff indicated he would get back to us. That is the last time we had any contact. He has not responded to phone calls since. His business card only has a name and phone number and states "Certified Appliance Technician," no address, email, or any other identification on it. He did not provide an invoice.

The check was written on a Saturday afternoon and he managed to cash it quickly. His silence since has cost us $255, an unrepaired refrigerator, and the need to write this warning.

Last edited by Carla B; 07-05-2021 at 11:24 AM. Reason: Add info.