View Single Post

Old 07-08-2021, 06:25 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,516 Times in 3,107 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I get calls where the caller ID screen says "Suspected Spam". So, I assume that the caller has already been screened by the phone provider. Why aren't these callers being investigated and prosecuted automatically? Also, if a lot of the scammers are calling from overseas, why can't I tell my phone provider to not allow any incoming calls that originated from overseas. I think the technology exists, but, for some reason, it is not being used effectively. It must be about money.
Because sometimes they're not spam at all. FloridaBlue agents always show up on my caller ID as either "unknown" or "suspected spam." That's because they are working from home, and FloridaBlue gives them a burner phone to use. Burner phones always show up that way on caller ID because the phone number doesn't belong to any one specific person, and it's not a business line attached to the business it's for.

If it's from a Florida area code, I answer the phone. If it's from Connecticut and I don't recognize the number, I just reject and block it. Ohio - reject and block. Wisconsin - reject and block. I know folks everywhere else in the country and two in India, one in Japan, several in the UK, one in China, and one in Malaysia. So I pick up just in case it's one of them. They have my number but we never talk on the phone, so I never put them into my call list.