Thread: Storm 7/12/21
View Single Post

Old 07-12-2021, 03:28 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts
Default Storm 7/12/21

Well, we have been here 5 years. We went through a storm before Irma that was bad. Irma was chicken feed but the storm that just went over us while we were visiting someone at The Villages Rehab was amazing. I've seen pictures of hail. My sister's house in Atlanta was nearly destroyed by hail but this is the first time I experienced it in person. I really didn't like it too much. People were desperate to get into the building or others were desperate to get out of the building. I think either way they made a bad call by leaving their cars. Having my Non-Expensive perfectly maintained Hyundai get pelted by Hail Marbles was not cool.

I recently have seen pictures on YouTube of Cars, Motorcycles, and Golf Carts being struck by lightning. Some guy got hit on his helmet last year on I-75 by lightning. Scary stuff. The weather is the only bad part about living here but it doesn't freak me out the way it did in the beginning.

People on my street laughed at me when I mentioned I had flood insurance just before Irma. When the water was almost a foot into the Golf Cart Garage and those same people were frantic for sandbags, I helped them out. I split up the extra ones I had between two neighbors. Not even a thank you which is all I would ever want. All of a sudden I was the representative for flood insurance as everybody wanted it. We are in a Y zone which means your chances of having a problem are low.

My whole point being is I have a new respect for the weather that I didn't acquire until we landed here. The tradeoff of the scary weather vs the life we've been granted is worth it. I'm grateful but hopefully a bit smarter now. I'm probably the most grateful person in The Villages. Okay, at least the most grateful in the Hysterical Section.