View Single Post

Old 07-15-2021, 09:22 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,477 Times in 753 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucky View Post
Apple just screwed the pooch with me on a trade-in issue. They ended up getting it corrected and threw in a set of Air Pod Pros. So one goof up after many years of flawless service. I have never been disappointed before.

You have your preference and I understand but you don't know what you're missing. Apple is the best. And you can understand them when they talk to you.

iPod? They make a lot more than iPods.
I have been an Apple developer since 1984. I never cared for the Apple II, but the moment I saw a Lisa I fell in love with it, sadly it was a $10K personal computer and I couldn't afford it, then in 1984 they released the Mac and I was all in.

They have made a lot of decisions over the years I did agree with, and have kind of lost sight of the "Computer for the rest of us" idea in some ways. But, they provide an alternative for people that want a toaster and not a bunch of parts - some assembly required.

Lots of fun metaphors over the years, one is my favorite: (Note: I am also a Linux Developer - LOL)

Windows Air

The terminal is pretty and colorful, with friendly stewards, easy baggage check and boarding, and a smooth take-off. After about 10 minutes in the air, the plane explodes with no warning whatsoever.

Windows NT Air

Just like Windows Air, but costs more uses much bigger planes, and takes out all the other aircraft within a 40-mile radius when it explodes.

Mac Airlines

All the stewards, stewardesses, captains, baggage handlers, and ticket agents look the same, act the same, and talk the same. Every time you ask questions about details, you are told you don’t need to know, don’t want to know, and would you please return to your seat and watch the movie.

Unix Airlines

Each passenger brings a piece of the airplane and a box of tools to the airport. They gather on the tarmac, arguing constantly about what kind of plane they want to build and how to put it together. Eventually, they build several different aircraft but give them all the same name. Some passengers actually reach their destinations. All passengers believe they got there.

Linux Airlines

Disgruntled employees of all the other OS airlines decide to start their own airline. They build the planes, ticket counters, and pave the runways themselves. They charge a small fee to cover the cost of printing the ticket, but you can also download and print the ticket yourself. When you board the plane, you are given a seat, four bolts, a wrench, and a copy of the seat-HOWTO.html. Once settled, the fully adjustable seat is very comfortable, the plane leaves and arrives on time without a single problem, the in-flight meal is wonderful. You try to tell customers of the other airlines about the great trip, but all they can say is, “You had to do what with the seat?”