View Single Post

Old 07-20-2021, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrumpyOldMan View Post
That’s, yes, Musescore is a program that lets you author scores. It has a built in synth so you can listen as you write your score. It is as good or better than many professional programs, but is free.

Logic Pro is Apple DAW (digital audio workstation). It also lets you author score, but much more. It is expensive and very complex, I normally use Musescore to create the score, an Logic Pro to play the midi, since Logic Pro has more options and the synth sounds so much better.

Swam is a line of digital software instruments that work in most DAWs, you can assign a “audio unit” as they are called, to any track, then the track is played using that instrument instead of the default built in instrument.

I think in the case of the AUs the settings are handled locally to the AU and don’t need to be triggered by the MIDI engine. The are a lot of things Swam is doing on its own, if you look at the video and listen, you can see in the swam control panel there is a visual indication of the vibrato on the cellos string. You will notice the vibrato starts only if a note is sustained. So Swam is deciding if vibrato is to be added dynamically. The setting, shown on that control panel, sets that magnitude of the vibrato, but the AU decides when to apply it.

Does that help? I think you are right, I think that Logic Pro is sending a CC (MIDI message) to the instrument, Swam, telling it to reset, and never telling it to turn the vibrato back on. I would like to either tell it to not reset it, or to figure out how to tell it to turn it back on at the appropriate setting.
I think there might be 2 approaches to solving this issue:
1. This is the one we initially agreed upon, which is that we have to figure out how to send a MIDI Control Command (CC?) to the SWAM sound module to 'tell' it to turn on the vibrato.

OR

2. Set up the SWAM module so that whenever the Cello voice is selected via MIDI, the Vibrato is already enabled by default.

Would approach #2 be possible?