View Single Post

Old 07-20-2021, 10:18 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,477 Times in 753 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyseguy View Post
What does NASA have online? Has it been left to the private sector now? For someone who, as a kid, was woken up that Summer in 1969 to see the US land a ship on the moon, it was heartbreaking when we started to pay Russia to send our astronauts to space.
Well, sadly, I used to be a NASA fan, but a few things happened. First, they had a couple of accidents leading to the deaths of some astronauts, and that resulted in a major shift to 0 tolerance for danger - space is a dangerous place and getting there is still dangerous. This resulted in a massive slow down in progress.

Second, Boeing was awarded the SLS contract. And, well, Boeing is certainly not the Boeing of yesteryear. They seem to be having just one bad outcome after another lately in all their divisions. I am sure they are trying to get SLS done, but at times it just doesn't seem like it, it seems like they enjoy getting all the extensions and additional funding. SpaceX has accomplished more than Boeing in less time and with seriously less government funding.

At least that is my opinion.