View Single Post

Old 07-20-2021, 11:07 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMo50 View Post
So says the man who obviously never wore the uniform, or had to pull the dead 8 year-old out from under the speeding SUV, whose driver was in a hurry to get to a pedicure appointment.

Law enforcement agencies do not use enhanced enforcement campaigns as "fund raisers." The sheriff certainly does not get to keep revenue generated through traffic citations.

Laws, and rules, are there for a reason. And, yes...safety is a big part of their existence. Ignoring laws, simply because someone may not be posing a threat in a particular snapshot of a moment, is ignorant. What's next? Is driving while impaired OK as long as you don't kill anyone? Is stealing OK if you really need the money? Is assault OK if that guy really pushed your button? Hopefully, you get the drift.

If all motorists (and golf car drivers) simply did their part and obeyed the laws, there would be drastically fewer incidents that result in people getting hurt.
Remember...driving is a privilege, not your right.
Can't say I disagree with much of what you posted, however------

1) No, "I never wore the uniform" (not sure how that was obvious), but I have resuscitated the victims, put the victims back together, and have had to inform families about the loss of their loved one, so I'll be happy to compare my experience with yours.

2) While speed can be a factor in accidents, I think it has been over-emphasized. I'll stand by my statement that slow drivers not keeping up with the flow of traffic are as much a hazard as speeders

3) Calling it a "fund-raiser" was probably wrong of me, mea culpa. But since you sound like a LEO, you do realize that tickets do raise revenue----just look at the small town of Lawtey on 301

4) Comparing speeding to stealing, drunk driving and assault is way out in left field, and I'm sure you know it

5) Like I've posted several times, I don't speed. But I don't think a golf cart going 21 mph is a significantly bigger safety hazard than one going 20, nor do I care if that cart passes me, even though "rules are rules". Nor do I care if I get passed on BV by a car going 40-----and I doubt that is more of a safety hazard as well.

6) Not all laws are there for a valid reason. I like to use as an example a law still on the books in Kansas-----"If two trains are approaching each other, BOTH must stop, and NEITHER may start until the OTHER ONE does"---so much for a good reason for ALL laws. Also, consider this. I can take my golf cart, add windshield wipers and PAY A FEE to the county and abracadabra, the same cart is now street legal and can be driven at 25mph. And the rationale for that is......... (Certainly not safety)

7) If you are an active or retired LEO, thank you for your service.