View Single Post

Old 07-20-2021, 02:08 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,477 Times in 753 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byte1 View Post
Perhaps the IDEA that long term effects might be serious is a reason that giving the unnecessary vaccine to children should be held off a bit until we learn more about said possibility. Just my opinion. After all, the young are hardly even noticing the illness in most cases, so why take the chance that we might harm the next generation needlessly? My children and grandchildren have had covid (most of them). None are opting to get the vaccination right now. Like I have said before, I will not try to encourage or discourage them in any direction.
On the other hand, I have not seen any absolute evidence that the vaccine can/will cause long term side effects. Supposedly, this type of vaccine(?) has been studied for decades. IF there is any future side effects related to this vaccine, I am pretty sure that we (seniors) won't be around long enough to find out. But, do we want to subject our youngest generation to possible side effects if there are no exigent circumstances to warrant vaccinating them? If we are protected, why should we worry about the un-vaxxed infecting us? It's a near impossible chance that they will infect us if we are inoculated.
First, I agree with most of what you said, and certainly the intent (as I see it) of what you said. If you had left out the word "unnecessary" I would have agreed with more.

Necessary is a controversial term.

I guess I see at least part of the reason for vaccinating children is that the delta variant is infecting children at a higher rate. While less deadly it spreads faster. And a spreading variant is likely to mutate again.

So, vaccination helps reduce mutations by reducing the spread. That is worth something.