View Single Post

Old 07-25-2021, 10:28 AM

Upack has both trucks and pods. I used the pods for a small move from Texas to Georgia. I only needed one pod. They sent two. They said their experience was people under estimated how much they would be moving and it was better to have two on site than be calling in a panic needing a second pod. I only used the one pod, but I thought that was pretty good customer service.

I could track the pod as it moved across country. It chased me on I-20 the whole way. When I was ready to receive it, they delivered it by appointment. When I was done, they picked it up by appointment. Easy peasy.

I've done a lot of moving through my life. I know how to load a truck. It is an art. I also know that insurance isn't worth a rip. I've had great moves and really bad moves. You just never know what you get until you are finished.

Here are my tips:
Buy packing supplies and boxes from Uhaul store. Get lots of reams of their packing paper. Anything you don't use can be returned.
Lots of small boxes are better than large boxes, but get a variety.
Get your tape from Office Depot, a tape gun and a lot of 10 packs of bankers boxes.
You will need a sharpie and an exacto knife.
Those really huge wardrobe boxes carry a ton of clothing, not just hang up clothes.
Pack your own boxes yourself.
Mark the boxes with your sharpie with a full description of what is in the box. Also mark with your last name and PBO (Packed By Owner).
Pack a box filled with clean sheets, pillows, blanket, towels, a bar of soap and the coffee pot with a bag of coffee. This way you can get a shower and make the bed after a very long day without searching through boxes for what you need. A fresh cup of coffee in the morning is a treat.
You can save big money by packing 90% yourself. You save money on the materials, you save money on the packers because they charge by the box and you will know where something was packed. You won't end up moving stuff you forgot to pitch out because you packed it.
I always have problems with packing large pictures and mirrors myself. I hire help to do this.
You can also hire help from the Uhaul website for packing, loading, unloading, unpacking, and clean up. They don't get paid until you give them the code.
The downside of the Upack model is the large trucks do not have a low deck. It's an 18-wheeler trailer. But, it's all yours.
I always offer to pay for extra help on loading day. I would rather have extra hands so that the load is set up correctly. It makes for a very long day if there is insufficient loading help and a sloppy job.
Moving is hard. But, organization and the right materials is the key to success.

Good luck with your move. Don't pack your sense of humor in a box. You are going to need it during the move.