Thread: Solar house
View Single Post

Old 07-26-2021, 06:08 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,790 Times in 5,284 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecenturian View Post
I would like to see your energy bill or in your case, your reimbursement check.

We had neighbors up north who had panels put up for FREE to run their house. After a year of nit coming close they called an independent inspector who said an average home requires 4500-5000 kWh of electricity for a year.

He advised that even in Texas, which is the ideal spot for solar you could not run an entire modern home on solar alone. You would need battery backup to store the energy for days you don’t have sun.

The neighbors eventually went to sell their house and found out there was a $49,000 lean on their home by the solar installer. Although you don’t pay anything for the panels the fine print has a 50 year lease in the contract. You are in effect leasing your roof space to them. They couldn’t sell the house without taking a loan to pay off the “FREE” panels.

All sounds like a great idea but I would be very careful and have an independent inspector evaluate your home first and have a lawyer read the contract over.
I don't think they needed a lawyer to tell them that the panels were not free. They should have read the contract.