View Single Post

Old 07-26-2021, 07:42 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,390 Times in 2,068 Posts

Depending on what data you need transferred, if you can get the old one working you can do some things yourself. The easiest way would be to get one of the cloud accounts (DropBox, GoogleDrive, OneDrive, or maybe even AppleDrive) and copy your data to that. Then simply mount it to your new computer and copy the data back. Or, what I do is store almost all my data on the cloud drive instead of my computer and that way I have access to it wherever I am.

If you cannot get the old computer working you *might* be able to remove the hard drive and put it into a portable drive case. This would allow you to attach the old drive to a new computer via USB and pull your data off that way.

If Best Buy is willing to do the work for free then it's hard to beat that. If they are planning to charge you big bucks then you might want to look at those cheaper alternatives.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough