Thread: Solar house
View Single Post

Old 07-26-2021, 07:58 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,091 Times in 298 Posts

Forget the political global warming BS for a minute, I have a few technical questions.

If we were to have a hurricane, would solar panels on my roof mean I don't need a generator? Where do I put all those batteries?

Related question... an emergency generator legally requires an automatic transfer switch to attach a generator to a house, to prevent it from back-feeding into the grid, and possibly electrocuting some poor power company lineman working to restore power. So howcome solar panels are allowed to back-feed the grid all the time? Does power derived from the sun somehow not electrocute power company linemen the same way fossil fuel power does?

Are solar panels impervious to hail storms? They look like they're made of glass. Will my insurance pay to replace glass gadgets installed on my roof?

Related question... How long do they last? Do they last longer than the 15 year payback period?

If they only last 15 years, will my solar power company help me scam my insurance company into replacing them, like all those Florida roofers who have made it impossible to insure a 10 year old roof in Florida? Or do they just scam the government again for part of it, and I get stuck with another 15 year payback?

Do they have to be "upgraded" every three years, like all my other electronic gadgets? Is that included in the 15 year payback?

What if my roof needs to be replaced before the solar panels? How much does it cost to remove and reinstall the solar panels when I replace my roof?

Do I need to find both a solar panel scammer and a roof scammer every 15 years, or in the future will it be possible to do it all with just one scammer?

Every time I think about solar, it just sounds like more trouble than it's worth! What am I missing?