View Single Post

Old 08-01-2021, 01:02 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,342 Times in 2,065 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrumpyOldMan View Post
I am sorry you feel that way (OP), definitely the reason there is the ignore list.

Personally, I want to have discussions with people I disagree with. I want to learn why they believe what they believe, I want people to challenge my views and beliefs. I have no use whatsoever with immature posts ridiculing and calling names. I will admit on occassion I get annoyed and post a sarcastic post that could be interpreted as ridicule, but I try not to.

So, I am glad we can disagree publically. I wish we could have a section for political discussions/arguments, which you have to join and agree to whatever to participate in, but I expect that is not going to happen.

And while I am an evil bleeding heart liberal, I have met several conservatives here that I highly respect both for their civility and for the well reasoned and well-spoken arguments.
Agree there. I have a B.A. in Philosophy which involved developing critical thinking skills and reading materials written by people who have very different views on things.

Got kicked out of the Unification Church for being too adversarial. I only went to the house they had near the University of Nevada, Reno (UNR) campus as there was a very friendly black man hanging around the Humanities Building who invited me over to talk about Philosophy. It took me a while to learn he was the Northern Nevada Chapter Head for the Unification Church or the Moonies.

Talk about unwanted phone calls! They started targeting my parents with scam like calls that weekend. That was how they operated in the late 1970s and early 1980s. Had to finally use a lot of profanity to get them to stop calling at the end of the following weekend after I attended one more of their discussions at the house near UNR. The Chapter Head had enticed me there with a promise of meeting a pretty girl. I fell for it. Did meet her. I was around 21 at this time.

Last edited by Taltarzac725; 08-01-2021 at 01:12 PM.