View Single Post

Old 08-11-2021, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malsua View Post
If you're leaving your internet connected, get a FLUME.

It attaches to your water meter in minutes and will let you know if it detects a leak.

Someone ran over one of our sprinkler heads and we had a full stream down the street for about 2 months whenever the irrigation ran. One month was about 5000 gallons water usage, the next month was like 40,000 gallons. The next purchase was a FLUME.

Just recently the Flume detected a water leak. After a few days, I tracked it down to one of the irrigation valves was leaking about a pint an hour. I replaced the diaphragm, all better.

For what it's worth, I have the following.

Wifi Thermostat
Wifi Garage Door opener
Nest Hello doorbell
remotely accessible Surveillance cameras
Wifi Irrigation controller
Wifi Flume Water monitor.

We're here in TV full time now, but still travel, so I still use all that stuff as we did when we bought but were only visiting every few months.

I leave the thermostat at 80 when we are away.
I never bothered with wrapping the toilets nor did I ever find one that was dry, even after about 3 months, our longest away period.

I did turn off the toilet valves in case one decided to start running.

I do have family nearby so someone could always pop over. Get to know your neighbors, maybe someone can just check in for you.
I might be in touch to ask you more about the WiFi stuff you use. I’m new to much of it! Thanks for the info.