View Single Post

Old 08-14-2021, 07:49 PM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,229 Times in 757 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
Trying to get my head around this, Boomer. I find so much self-serving advice by pharma companies and research which they pay for that it becomes hard to believe any of them sometimes. I was a student of chemical engineering so I try to believe in chemical interventions.

When I was younger I was less skeptical, I took the pill - for a short time I did not like any of its iterations. I took hormones and then later scans were interpreted as problematic. I worried for years but everything turned out healthy. I went for annual physicals, had blood tests done and they scared me with MM and possibly my impending death. Years later I’m still healthy as a horse. I tried GH as it was fashionable at my gym and legal if prescribed. I heard it made Cher beautiful. Insanely expensive. I had injections for a year and nothing, absolutely nothing was different, other than my bank account.

Over time I decided maybe certain things help some people but all they did was frighten me.

Now I’m committed to only going for medical advice if I am actually sick. Don’t try to fix what’s not broken.

(Of course that doesn’t apply to sensible preventative actions like getting a vaccine.)
Hi Velvet, you are absolutely right. The hormone decision can definitely throw women into a quandary.

The Menopause Manifesto covers hormone therapy pretty well. Dr. Gunter covers the history, along with the different types available now. (My guess is that as someone from the field of chemistry, you would find the history of hormone therapy particularly interesting. The first documented use was in 1887.)

Along with the chapters I referred to in the earlier post, Dr. Gunter also has one on "Menoceuticals: Supplements and Menopause." She delves into many of the offerings out there, including those being sold by so-called "medical professionals." Gunter ends that chapter by saying, "P. S. I expect a lot of hate mail for this chapter."

Boomer

Last edited by Boomer; 08-14-2021 at 07:55 PM.