View Single Post

Old 08-22-2021, 09:32 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Snide remarks about The Villages

Quote:
Originally Posted by CommonSense View Post
I know posting this is not the smartest thing to do, but I felt I had to say something about being denied access to the local American Legion Post 347 because of COVID-19 because I am not a member of their Post.

My wife and I just finished dinner at the Orange Blossom Hills Golf & Country Club and decided to stop at Post 347 for a drink on our way home in the Village of Hawkins.

I handed my membership card from American Legion Post 342 in St. Charles, IL, where I was a past commander and have been a member of this Post for over 40 years.

I was informed that because I was not a member of Post 347, I could not enter. The gatekeeper pointed to a posted sign stating only Post 347 members can enter because of COVID!

COVID has been around for 18 months, and this is their excuse to refuse my wife and me access to an organization I have spent over four decades as an active member.

Prior to today (8/21/21 at 1600 hours), we stopped two weeks ago on a Sunday afternoon only to leave because they were packed with BINGO players. At that time, I did not see anyone wearing a mask during BINGO or anyone wearing a mask this afternoon.

Post 347 blatantly refused access to my wife and I, both members of this national organization, and quite honestly, I am "****ed off"!

The Villages is supposed to be the friendliest community in Florida, but just outside The Villages in Lady Lake is the largest American Legion Post in the United States. They refused to allow me to enter!

OK, so maybe I am a nobody, but I am an Air Force veteran of 35 years, proud to serve my country and honored to be a member of the American Legion for forty-two years. Served in Southeast Asia during the Vietnam War and currently undergoing cancer treatment at the VA for Agent Orange. Very active as a Veterans Advocate and presently working on a YouTube project entitled "Saluting American Veterans."

It was bad enough coming home from SEA and being spit at and rejected, but to deny a veteran who is an American Legion member access to their Post because of COVID is simply WRONG.

We moved here two months ago and recently started searching for opportunities to volunteer. One such organization is the Village Honor Flight, and they asked me to get involved. I intend to, but it seems this organization is tied to the American Legion Post 347, so I am having second thoughts!

Also, before we moved to The Villages, I heard a similar story about a member from another Post being denied entry and that bothered me!

The first time I went to Post 347 in June, I was welcomed and told that story was a misunderstanding.

Well, I hope this is a misunderstanding because today, more than ever, veterans need each other. And please, do not use COVID as an excuse because both my wife and I are vaccinated, and if you wanted us to wear masks, we would.

Please reconsider this stupid policy! Don't shut your doors to those entitled to the privileges of membership with the American Legion. Last I knew…an American Legion member, regardless of what posts they belong to, is entitled to access other posts worldwide.

Guess the rules are different in the friendliest community in Florida!

If I am wrong, I will apologize and retract this post; We were brothers and sisters when we served, so what changed?

Fred J. Rosenthal
MSgt. USAF (Retired)
5524 Brittany Terrace
The Villages, FL 32163
630-926-3109
therosenthalgroup@sbcglobal.net
Blame those who are responsible , ie: The Post Leadership

The Villages nor the "Developer have anything to do with this problem