View Single Post

Old 08-23-2021, 10:20 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,506 Times in 3,104 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I barely understood a thing you said. I have never had a falafel anything or a tsatziki..or did I know they made "Greek-style" chicken Taco's. I ate my very first Taco when I was 32 in Cincinnati. Do Greek-style chicken Taco's have black olives in them? What is in a falafel? I thought that was Italian?

I am not trying to start something. I am just saying I am often amused and enjoy the really different cultural backgrounds we Villagers come from.
Amerikano's is a Greek-American restaurant. You can find their menu online. Or you can bing the individual food types.

taco is not a proper noun, therefore not capitalized. The plural of taco is tacos, no apostrophe.

Falafel is a middle-eastern vegetarian meat-ball looking thing made with chick-peas (also known as a garbanzo bean) and spices. It's deep fried or pan-fried until the outside is crispy and the inside is at least somewhat firm. It's typically served with tahini, which is sesame paste, garlic, lemon juice, and water. Tahini is also a common salad dressing in the middle-east. Falafels tend to be included in some Greek menus, even though Greece isn't in the Middle-East; it's in southeastern Europe and borders Turkey - which IS in the Middle-East.

Tzatziki is also a dressing, typically made with thinned yogurt, cucumber, and dill. It is a standard Greek sauce drizzled on any lamb dish that doesn't have a tomato sauce base, and over chicken in the greek version of a taco, which is known in Greece (and most of the rest of the world) as a gyro.

I'm not Greek, and I'm not Middle-eastern. But I grew up in New Haven County, where we had an enormously diverse population and were exposed to cultures from all over the world.