View Single Post

Old 08-25-2021, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbbyPye View Post
A second cousin invited me to visit for a weekend in Macon, GA. He is an avid golfer, yet I know nothing of the sport.

Is anyone aware of any golf courses in or near the Macon area that would accept golfer like myself who know nothing of how to play, or even what the basic rules are to play a proper game?

Thank you!

Abby
I would do a couple things f you are a complete newbie:

1. Take a handful of lessons from an instructor, preferably at a driving range. Get the basics. Trust me, You'll work on eprfecting those 'Basics' for the rest of your life. lol

2. Go out with a friend. The rules of golf & golf etiquette are fairly easy to learn. One or two rounds with a friend will give you most of what you need to know. Playing golf is easy...playing good golf is hard. lol

3. Don't sweat the small stuff and always congratulate your partner on a good hit.

4. And what skills to work on? There is an old saying among the Pro's: 'Drive for show & Putt for dough. It is better to hit short straight drives than one huge hit which curls way off to the side. I hit about 150 yards on my best day but it goes straight. My friends are all long ball hitters but seldom straight. Slow and steady gets you to the green. Start with nice easy swings on your shots and start to add 'ummph' once you are hitting straight. I found that worked best for me.