View Single Post

Old 08-27-2021, 08:31 PM
Location: Newburgh NY, Berwick PA, Grand Forks ND, Tampa Fl, Wenatchee Wash, TN, OK, TX, NC, OH, FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janicepyatt View Post
I'm considering buying a 50 year old Volvo P-1800...does anyone have any suggestions for a mechanic locally that I could rely on? Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Just my opinion, as I have owned many classics and hot rods, including German and English. If I couldn’t do the work on the Volvo or had a really close friend to help me then I would not buy the vehicle. Only if a sentimental vehicle or one I really would love to have would I consider. I have seen headaches from some of these vehicles and seen a lot more money spent after the purchase then was in the plan. Today, a vehicle that’s not straight and running well could be costly. Another thought is to find a classic car mechanic who knows that vehicle, and see if the owner would agree to let you take the car to the mechanic. The mechanic shop normally will charge you between $40 and $100 dol. Often that is money well spent just to check it out on the rack from bumper to bumper and a short drive. They then can assess the vehicle and tell you it’s ready to go or you can write down all that needs to be done and get an estimate. Everything may not be found but a great mechanic is a great value. Sorry to be long but I have had a lot of experience and just throwing in my two cents