View Single Post

Old 08-30-2021, 06:59 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,875 Times in 949 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaboutown View Post
GG, I truly cannot understand how or why you got a bee in your bonnet concerning suicides among physicians. Frankly, I found your remark in another thread concerning the untimely death of a loved local physician shockingly callous. Why are you in a snit and verbally jumping up and down about suicides among physicians?

It seems to me that closer to home for you might be the suicide rate among primary school teachers, especially those who teach kindergarten and first grade. The following is from the UK. I do not know the statistics for American primary school teachers.

"Three in four suicides among teaching professionals are primary and nursery school teachers, statistics show, amid warnings it is 'one of the most highly stressed occupations in the country.

The suicide rate among primary school teachers in England is nearly two times higher than the national average, figures have revealed.

Risk of suicide among primary and nursery school teachers was 42 per cent higher than patterns in the broader population of England during the period 2011 to 2015, according to data released by the Office of National Statistics (ONS)."

From: Primary school teachers''' suicide rate nearly double national average, figures reveal | The Independent | The Independent

This was a surprise to me.
As far as physicians imagine a profession where every one you deal with is sick. Most patients you can venture a guess as to when they will die and what will kill them.

UK and teachers. We often reach to support our narrative. As far as teachers, sadly there are too few great ones. Too many do not belong in the profession and are hanging in to collect the great benefits package.

Suicide. Why is it such a difficult subject. My view is because religion says you are damned if you take your life. Interesting conflicts the first amendment to the constitution outlaws a state (national) religion. If, I recall it is the 13th that outlaws slavery. There is no shortage of legal conflicts but if you eliminate a state religion and you are not a slave to the state, your life is your life, you have the right to end it.

Euthanasia-what we put HUMANS through, if they were a dog you would go to jail for what we do as normal practice.