View Single Post

Old 09-03-2021, 09:34 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,513 Times in 3,106 Posts

I've had Intel since 1990. The stock split 5 times so far since I acquired the shares. Each was a 2:1 split. Starting price for my stock was around $35 per share. Current price is just under $60 per share. But it's split 5 times, so I own a lot more shares than I previously did, and the dividends are re-invested to buy more shares.

I only had 10 shares to start with, so this isn't a "lot" of money. But if it doubles and splits again, I might be able to squeeze out a check large enough to buy a new car in 2 years when my social security checks kick in.

I had Connecticut Water Company stock, but the company was sold, and the buyer chose to become 100% owners. So I had to cash out. That was the downpayment on our home here in the Villages.

I also had a few Israeli bonds, which I cashed in several years ago because they weren't earning any interest anymore anyway.

My grandmother offered all the grandkids their choice of EuroDisney shares or $5000 cash, when ED first went public. I'm the only one who picked the cash. That stock went kaputz shortly thereafter, and I had a new bicycle, stereo system, and a few thousand to pad my savings account.

I had Lane Bryant shares, but then it went out of business and I didn't even know I had the shares, so never tried to cash them in. I am now the proud owner of a worthless stock certificate. At the time I should have made the decision, the stock was worth around $100/share. My grandmother I believe paid less than $20/share for it.

That was how she used invest in us grandkids. She'd buy stock in our names, and we'd get the certificates for our birthdays, along with a modest cash present we could spend on whatever we wanted.

Intel is the only stock among the bunch that has given me a really good return, with all the splits. Water company split once, which was nice, and what she paid around $2/share for, was worth $70 when I had to cash out.