View Single Post

Old 09-05-2021, 01:48 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,920 Times in 1,538 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
You can't be serious, and personally I couldn't care less if you "disagree" with a game played for thousands of years by hundreds of millions. Indoor golf screens with robotics????? No comment.

But maybe you should check out these facts:

Quick facts about golf courses
Presented by the Golf Course Superintendents Association of America
1. A properly repaired ball mark heals completely in 2-3 days, while an unrepaired
ball mark takes 15-20 days to heal properly.
2. A typical 18-hole golf course covers approximately 125 - 150 acres of land. The
total landmass of golf courses in the United States equals about 1/2 the state of
Connecticut.
3. A typical 18-hole golf course produces enough oxygen to support 4,000 to 7,000
people.

4. Golf courses nationwide combine to filter 13 million tons of dust from the air
every year.

So our 693 holes of golf produce enough O2 for 269,500 people----perhaps we should start exporting it
My main motive is a CIVIL discussion. Sports are a big part of all the world's societies. I picked out an individual sport - golf to illustrate that for EVERY sport there will be ADHERENTS and DETRACTORS. Golf, boxing, or whatever? I liked Mohammed Ali, but in later life, I felt that boxing as a PRO sport was too violent and too injurious to the participants. I also feel that football NEEDS better helmets.

Now to your #2 point......the US landmass that is USEABLE is decreasing as we see to the coastline and fire-prone interior as we speak (current events). What will happen when we have 600 million people in the US? incidentally, if you could have lobbied for limited growth in US population to about 250 million people, then I would probably NOT be even mentioning global warming and I would NOT have any problems with golf courses. And when it is thought about the screen A.I. golf idea is a GREAT compromise. I just INVITE golfers and techies to work on it.

#3.......Yes, agreed! Grass is a plant that produces oxygen and captures CO2, but NEVER as much as the forest that a golf course replaced! WE are trading information, lovely!

#4........Yes agreed! But, the dust stopped was probably stopped 1,000 times more by the original forest. And a forest does NOT need to be fertilized! Thus, saving the mining of phosphates and the dollar costs and air pollution costs of the mining equipment's internal combustion engines.

There is nothing wrong with a golfer LOVING their sport. There is just a downside to any sport and virtually any activity. I would call upon golfers to call for more trees to be planted along their fairways. And maybe to form a club that plants young saplings in state and national forests in areas where a fire had burned through. Also, to encourage laws to NOT allow private dwellings in state and federal forests! Thank you, sincerely!

Last edited by jimjamuser; 09-05-2021 at 02:44 PM. Reason: clarity