View Single Post

Old 09-07-2021, 06:47 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,513 Times in 3,106 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PugMom View Post
i've been tipping @ 20%, or more depending. it's my way of thanking the ones who DID show up to work, & my gratitude towards them. got to give them a break somehow
Most of them are earning $10/hour plus tips now. They are already getting a break. Minimum wage is still $8.65 until the end of the month. Federal minimum wage is still only $7.25/hour.

Minimum wage for SERVERS (waiters, waitresses, bartenders, etc) is $5.54/hour, as long as the server's ACTUAL hourly revenue equals or exceeds $8.65/hour after tips.

The breaks they should be getting is: 15 minute paid break during each shift, plus an unpaid 1/2 hour meal break for a 6 hour or longer shift on top of the 15 minute paid break. They should be able to earn 1 hour of paid personal time (sick, vacation, just feel like it, whatever) for every 40 hours worked. They should be getting the option to buy in to their employer's health insurance plan, whether at full group premium prices or if the company wants to kick in toward it. They should be entitled to a guaranteed minimum 4-hour shift; if they're only needed for less than 4, they should get paid for the full 4. If they choose to volunteer to leave early or ask to leave early, they get paid whatever they work.

They should get a boss who backs up their employees when needed, who isn't afraid of busing a table or bringing water and menus to guests if they're short-handed.

None of this is the diner's responsibility. And your 30% tip won't make up for the lack of any of the above. It'll just make the employer think "well they're getting tipped so well, we don't have to actually pay them what they're worth anymore."