View Single Post

Old 09-12-2021, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
Your assets or lack thereof has nothing to do with getting a $10 co-pay card from Bristol-Meyers for Eloquis. Anyone whose Rx coverage doesn't already cover the full amount, is not receiving Medicare Part D, is over 18, can get the card. You just have to fill out the form online.

As I said - many pharmaceutical companies will discount their expensive meds with a request. I got my Chantix for something like $10 when I decided to quit smoking back when I was 40, and Chantix was still new to the market. My first week's worth was free, as a "starter sample" from the doctor.

All I had to do was submit the request. I -did- have health coverage and prescription coverage at the time but because there was no generic and it was BRAND NEW to the market, my cost would've been around $90 per month for a 3-month Rx. I got 2 months worth for $12, quit smoking my second week, and tossed the rest away.

My beef with Medicare or any other singular program negotiating prices, is that everyone who isn't eligible for those programs ends up paying more to make up for it. And - MOST people aren't on Medicare. So MOST people will end up paying more, just so people over age 65 get a break. The cost for people who have no insurance at all would be astronomical, if you think $600/month is expensive. Imagine how much they'll have to pay if your cost is reduced, just because of your age.

Age discrimination goes both ways. I, who am not yet eligible for Medicare, should not have to pay more just so you can pay less. The negotiated prices should cover ALL citizens in this country who need the meds. Not just one demographic to the exclusion of all else.
So we should just continue to subsidize the rest of the world so big Pharma companies can rake in millions of profits every day, week, month, quarter, year??? This post was about Medicare and the costs we pay. What these companies are making on these drugs is another question but also one that would be good to have real answers to. Corporate America is great at making those answers hard to find.

Always be humble and kind.