Thread: Dog Park Poll
View Single Post

Old 04-23-2009, 09:03 PM
Default A quick question

Hello Barefoot. I have a question for you. I have a beautiful German Shephard who has not been socialized due to the fact ....that we do not have any dog runs in my neighborhood up here in Michigan.
We have bought a home in Duval...and will be moving down to TV in July. How do I go about get her socialized. She is a great dog and very nice around humans. However, I don't know if I can trust her around other dogs. Need some advice....Thanks Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
John, if a dog snaps or bites, in my experience it is a warning that the dog hasn't been socialized and doesn't want to play with other dogs.

At Doggie Doo Run Run, aggressive dogs that cause fights are banned. In twelve months at DDRR, I have only seen one aggressive dog. I assume most dog owners know very well if their dog is socialized and enjoys playing with other dogs.

Most dogs at DDRR play together without any problems. Sometimes there are 30 or more dogs there at one time. There are two separate areas at DDRR and at Paradise Park. One for dogs under 30 lbs and large dogs aren't allowed there. And one for dogs over 30 lbs. My 10 lb dog prefers to play with large dogs in "over 30 lb area" and that is allowed.

There is chasing and play growling and wrestling. All part of normal dog play. Very different from a dog that snaps or bites.