View Single Post

Old 09-16-2021, 08:48 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
Why should anyone in the Villages care about whether children are put in harm's way? Their kids are all grown.

Let the parents of today's schoolkids decide whether or not to teach their kids to look both ways before crossing the street. Let them decide whether or not to give their kids a shotgun for their 10th birthday, or let their 12-year-old take the golf cart for a spin when they visit. Let the parents of today's kids decide whether or not they should be inconvenienced by a mask so that they don't catch a deadly disease that they aren't eligible to vaccinate against yet.

Let them decide whether or not to let them play with fireworks in the back yard.

Let them decide whether or not to bring up irresponsible children who were never taught that common sense is a good thing to have, and that as members of civilization, they are expected to grow up to be civilized adults.

Y'all had your turn making those decisions for YOUR kids. If the generation failed, it's because you failed them. Now sit back and let them raise or kill their own children as they see fit.
My youngest just graduated from HS and I could not agree with you more OrangeBlossomBaby.

As a parent, I was happy to see schools reopen last year. I feel that the kids in Florida benefited greatly from having in class instruction, being able to participate in sports and other activities and simply being around their friends. When the mask requirement was lifted towards the end of the school year that was a good thing in my opinion - I have felt very fortunate to be living in Florida because I think Florida schools got it right. But this school year I no longer have a kid in school. Both of my kids are now young adults in college.

I think the parents of school children know what they are doing and no one loves their children as much as they do. Raising kids is hard enough without all of the contentiousness surrounding COVID. I'm glad that this is no longer my fight and I wish the parents of school children the best of luck going forward. I know that they've got this.