View Single Post

Old 09-17-2021, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toymeister View Post
When bikes stop they lose momentum. On multimodal paths you stop, a lot.

On multimodal paths there are many types of vehicles and walkers which travel at different speeds creating obstacles. Walkers are generally unaware that bikes are behind them no matter how much you signal, speak, or yell. They fail to yeild

Golf carts are unaware of physics, that on four wheels you take corners very slowly and bikes do not. Many golf cart operators are rude and operate their carts in dangerous ways.

Roads do not have tunnels. No tunnels mean you can maintain cadence. Pedal cadence is important to cyclists.

Finally, and some what obvious by now: multimodal paths are dangerous for cyclists. It is legal for cyclists to operate on the road, not so for most golf carts, and not so for walkers when a sidewalk is available.

I hope this answers the question.
Wow, I'll address just a couple of the misconceptions conveyed here. I am a long-time bike rider in TV. I ride almost daily and I use the multimodal paths (MMPs) exclusively.

On my average 10-15 mile ride, I encounter a few stop signs. Other than that, it very rare I have to stop. My ride is almost non-stop riding the whole way.

Even more important, the MMPs are NOT dangerous for bikers. In my opinion, the streets are far more dangerous. When I ride on an MMP, I am totally in control of my own safety. On the street, a biker's life is in the hands of every driver of a car or truck going 40+ mph as they drive by. I will not yield my control of my own safety. I have a couple basic rules I abide by on the MMPs to maintain that control...

I ride a hybrid bike, so if I see a cart or pedestrian that I think might be a conflict somehow, I exit onto the adjacent grass as needed. A piece of cake. Almost all areas have those grass exit areas. If I approach an area without an exit area, I search for approaching carts and adjust my speed as needed if necessary to avoid any conflict. Again, no problem at all.

I have ridden my bike on streets in my previous lives. Now riding my bike on the MPs in TV is one of my favorite parts of living here. Safety is a big reason for that. All the beauty and nature in the environment I ride in is just icing on the cake.

Last edited by Davonu; 09-17-2021 at 08:17 PM.