View Single Post

Old 09-18-2021, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-2-56 View Post
I have been golfing for almost 50 years. I have played golf on three continents and I love the game, respect the course and the architect and I was at one time an assistant superintendent.
I can safely say that putting at these two courses in the past two weeks is similar to putting on a giant waffle iron.
They are awe full and perhaps leaving them long from the heat, but my goodness, they are long, super slow, have mixed plants on them and just overall not qualified as golf greens.
I hear so much complaining about the courses here, and I don’t quite understand. I think some forget that Mother Nature has a lot to do with golf. Yes, greens keepers, too, but Mother Nature is the biggest factor of the game…. Distressed greens or tees, tree branches, tree roots, a gopher hole, roughs not mowed, moisture or no, it’s all part of the game!

I’ve played Pinehurst, NC Country Club courses in worst shape (of course not #2, but green fees for that course are $495 this month!). You want to play on that level of a course? You gotta pay for it.

We had another course in NC called Tobacco Road, a course made out of a sand quarry. Basically a turkey shoot, redneck course, but people came from all over and would pay $80 green fees to play it. That’s half a months amenity fee, here. We have some great courses in The Villages, both executive and championship (some better on some days, some not).

Swing, or go home.