View Single Post

Old 09-26-2021, 09:24 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Around '83 I was living in Georgia and nearby was Fort Stewart, a large Army installation. They had the Guess Who perform in a park on the base and it was free. I went and everybody sat on the grass or blanket or chair they had brought.

The band was on a portable stage/flat bed truck, so they were about 5' above the ground. No easy way for anybody could reach the band. There was about 1,000 people and the band was rocking. They had Army guys, locals like myself (outsiders), bikers and all sorts. Everybody was getting along great.

The band played about 90 minutes and was getting near the end and a large portion of the crowd was drunk and and everyone was dancing when they played 'American Woman'. The Army had put one of those orange plastic barriers you see around construction sites about 15' from the stage. People were dancing and knocking the barrier down to get nearer the stage.

The Army bought out MP's with German Shepherds and got in front of the stage. They dogs were going crazy with the people, the loud music and they made a very unpleasant situation. They were just getting ready to do the encore of 'These Eyes' and they stopped the show. Talk about a mad bunch of people.

The Villages is not isolated when it comes to outdoor entertainment that doesn't always go as planned.