View Single Post

Old 09-28-2021, 11:05 AM
Default It's not just Cody's that are short staffed - its everywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koapaka View Post
Decided to go out to eat this evening, and went to Cody's Roadhouse at Lake Sumter.

Got seated, and waited and waited and waited for our server to come and even ask us for drink order. I would say it was at least 15 minutes, but hey, everyone is short staffed...so we just enjoyed waiting. Came and took our drink order, wanted a bottle of wine and 2 waters. Another 15 minutes LITERALLY before the water was served. Oh, no wine, what else do you want (claims they only had ONE of the bottle selections listed....ok, no problem, hubby has a beer and I stick with my water). Order was taken at that time. Hubby asked for his steak cooked rare.....she responds cant promise that buy will request.) Now, at what point does the customer not have the right to request the temp they want their steak cooked?? I ordered chicken wings. Literally, another 20 minutes passed and when she waltzes by to serve the people that have come in way after us, I ask about the beer. "Oh, I put the order in, I have to wait for them to serve it" was her response. No apology, no let me check on it...basically, "not my fault". Beer finally arrives about 10 minutes later....still no food. We actually watched people come in, get seated, get served and enjoying their meal being waited on by other servers as we sat and waited. Never offered to refill water, just kept asking "everything alright here" every time she passed by. Finally, food arrives. Hubby orders another beer since he has been drinking the other one during the extended wait....never comes. Bottom line, I have been the person preaching patience as we deal with these staff shortages...but it was apparent this particular server was NO hurry, not my fault, get there when I get there mode.

I actually was so unhappy I seriously considered leaving no tip. I could not bring myself to do it and tipped the 20% minimum we always leave (And for exceptional service we have left as much as 100% of the bill....trust me, CHASE credit card sends me constant email notifications, "did you intend to leave this percentage as tip?"), but gotta wonder....think we will be eating at home a lot more this winter as the snowbirds return.

At what point does the "short staffed" issue start to allow incompetence to rule the day?? There HAS to be a limit, where do you draw the line???

Sorry to say, this has really turned us off to Cody's. The entire experience was actually that sad.
==================================================

My wife and I recently traveled to New England area on our first vacation since this whole Covid thing stopping in Myrtle Beach along the way. All during our trip, many hotels and restaurants had signs posted that they were short staffed to had cut back on service due to COVID. If you go into other returns here in The Villages like Beef O'Brady's or Bob Evans or Darrell's Dinner or... the list goes on - there will often be a "short staffed" sign on the door. And not to mention - there are "help wanted" signs everywhere. No one wants to work for service industry wages as long as they can collect unemployment. The solution, in my opinion, is to reduce unemployment payments the longer a person is on it (assuming they are physically able to work) so they will go back to work. We can't continue to reward people for not working when there are plenty of jobs out there.