View Single Post

Old 09-28-2021, 01:40 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,319 Times in 501 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdpaq0580 View Post
First. If service, food, beverage, anything is unsatifactory, LET THE MANAGEMENT KNOW. They would (or should) want to know before they lose customers over something correctable.

I was taught that "tip" was an acronym for "To Insure Proper or Prompt service" and is given in advance to someone so they will perform task or service quickly, correctly and to make sure you will be happy when job is done. A "Gratuity" is a Thank You given after you have received a satisfactory or better service than just average or minimum. The term "tip" is now a gratuity that is NOT the "thank you"gift that it was intended to be and is now expected, sometimes even demanded, for just doing basic job functions. Everybody seems to expect to be tipped for just doing their job. Entitlement?
I have been many places in my life were tipping is not the norm, even frowned upon and considered an insult. They are proud of the work they do and offering a tip makes them feel that you do not value their work and that you pitty them.
In this country many establishments, like reastaurants, have even successfully transferred much of the burden of paying their employees a decent wage to the customer. As a larger part/% of an employees pay becomes made up of tips, the less the employer needs to cover. And the customer (out of guilt or peer pressure) slowly is induced to increase the percentage of the tip. Anyone here old enough to remember 10,15,18% as being the norm? Now, even 20% is just standard and more if you think it is deserved or you just feel sorry for them. In many places, if not most, tips are devided, not just among wait staff, but by ALL the employees. So that Very generous tip you leave your fabulous server probably only adds a few cents to his/her take home since everyone from the chef to the bartender to the dish washer gets a cut. Who knows, since establishments are different.
Oh, for the day when the price on the menu is the price you pay and everyone is happy with that. Never happen.
I forgot about the taxes...

I've traveled and lived in many countries and found that a large amount of places placed the gratuity in the bill, so you really didn't have much choice.