View Single Post

Old 10-12-2021, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bckaiser View Post
I suggest you hire an electrician who knows. You are working with a three-way switch set-up. You could start a house fire.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Footer View Post
Below is the wiring for the original 3 way switch. Note how the neutral goes directly from the box to the light and bypasses the switch. In your switchbox, the red wire is the traveler and one of the other black wires is also a traveler. The load (or line) was the wire that was connected to the black screw on your 3-way switch. The switch won't work if the black traveler is connected to the black screw.

You installed a 2-way switch, which is intended for only one switch controlling the light. The reason you have to connect the white wire to the ground is to get some power going through the switch to keep the motion sensing active, even when the switch is off. That's fine. It's designed that way. You're not going to cause a fire.

You capped the red wire, which means when the other switch sends power through the red wire the light will be off. When you flip it to the other position and the power goes through the black wire the light will be on because the motion switch senses you and closes the switch. If you leave the 3 way switch in that position all the time then the motion switch should work as you want. However, if the switch is set in the other position (light is off), I can't see how the motion switch can turn the light on. No way to complete the circuit.

Ideally you would install a 3 way motion switch that does not require a neutral. I believe the one you found on Amazon requires a neutral.
With professional help...all set up and working perfectly

The diagram above in post #46 is exactly the way it is set up stock. The solution for my switch was...

Combine the line from the box to both the red and black traveler wires to the other switch. This keeps the motion switch in control of the light regardless of which way the other switch is positioned and provides power for the light.

Black to the black going to the light.

Bare ground on switch to bare ground in box.

And he dug out those white wires buried in the back of the box and hooked one to the white wire on the switch. This completed the circuit that provides power to the motion switch (both the switch needs power and the light needs power, the white completes the circuit back to the fuse box that provides power for the switch)

I hope this makes sense! Thanks for all of the comments

Joe