View Single Post

Old 10-21-2021, 01:21 PM
Sage
Thanked 12,970 Times in 4,155 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfer222 View Post
I noticed most people playing here leave the flag in while putting- Is this a villages rule?
No. Under the USGA rules of golf, you can leave it in, take it out, or have it tended (as long as the person tending it removes it before the ball hits it). Prior to 3 years ago, you had to remove it when playing a shot from the green (otherwise you would incur a penalty if you hit it). But since the rule change, there is no penalty for hitting the flagstick with your ball. (also no penalty for hitting yourself, your caddy, your partner nor their caddy, or either of your equipment, unless placed intentionally to help the player).

As far as The Villages goes, I think most people have left it in starting with COVID restrictions when there was a pipe placed in the cup and you weren't allowed to remove the flagstick. Or, like Adam Scott, they prefer it in. Or, they are just plain lazy. I'd be willing to bet that the players who are allergic to the rakes in the sand traps and think the plastic bottle on their cart is for cocktails probably leave it in