View Single Post

Old 10-22-2021, 11:35 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,180 Times in 1,936 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathy1516 View Post
BE VERY CAREFUL with this technique. I had my right knee replaced this way and it went fine. The following year I had the left one replaced and it was a fiasco. In one week the pain was tremendous. The appliance had moved causing fractures on my tibia and fibula. I wore a full leg immobilizer for three months with minimal weight bearing until I could have revision. Two years after revision, the pain was back. This time I went to Shands for an opinion and the appliance had loosened and I needed another replacement. This was confirmed by another orthopod in Orlando. I had an infection in the knee which had to be removed. A spacer was placed and I was immobile again for 4 months while on IV antibiotics 24/7 for six weeks. Finally had the permanent knee placed last December. My surgery was very complex and I am still having PT today. I wouldn’t recommend the lateral approach as I had four surgeries on that knee in three years and wouldn’t wish the pain and agony on anybody.
I am so sorry to hear of your agonizing journey with your second knee. What you described is certainly what I fear and know there is always a possibility of a failed surgery.