View Single Post

Old 10-24-2021, 09:24 AM
Platinum member

ok, retired pharmacist here. let me give you two different scenarios I encountered trying to get moderna booster. I had an appt. at Publix at 430pm. when I arrived there was one pharmacist and one tech and about 6 people in chairs waiting for shots because Publix also does walk ins. That poor pharmacist was beside herself trying to do everything. While tech was working drive in, pharmacist had to handle pick up window. one customer had problems with the way prescription was written and she said she'd have to call dr. and didn't know when that could be as she was swamped. he at least didn't yell at her. another woman was demanding to know when she would get her shot and the pharmacist said you are next in line but I can't tell you exactly when because she was going to be the only one there in 20 min. after tech leaves. the poor pharmacist hadn't had anything to eat or drink all day because of being over run with walk ins for shots. I decided not to stay and add to her burden. on Sat. I went to Villages Discount Pharmacy, which is an extremely rare independently owned pharmacy. although the internet said they were open until 3pm, the sign on door said. 2pm. I was getting in my car to leave and the owner/pharmacist came out and asked what I needed. I told him I was looking for booster but would come another time because having been a pharmacist I would never contribute to making them stay later. He insisted I come in and he gave the booster. I was commenting that it's really gutsy to open an independent and he told me he retired from CVS and wanted to open a place where he could offer the kind of service pharmacies used to be able to give. he said he has time to call the doctors and gave me an example of a woman with a newborn with breathing issues where the dr. had ordered some newest drug which would have cost her $600.(unfortunately, MDs don't know about the cost, usually they prescribe it because some rep. told them it was far superior to older, less expensive alternatives). He was able to talk to dr. and explain and the dr. was agreeable to changing it to another med. that cost her $50. that's the kind of thing that the chain pharmacists just don't have the time or resources to do. He said when he started at CVS it was different but now it's just numbers and quotas pharmacists have to make. he takes calls on his cell phone after hours for emergencies. I was amazed and he truly has a calling to his work. so just saying if you want more personal attention you should consider giving him your business. his website said they even deliver. He's on rt 44 in Freedom Plaza in Wildwood.