View Single Post

Old 10-30-2021, 06:24 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,863 Times in 786 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanFL View Post
Personally I am ALL FOR 'ethical treatment of animals'. To a degree. And I'm truly not sure what that degree is. But when PETA releases an announcement as this... hmmm...REALLY?

but nothing re - gloves made from cowhide, the baseballs, etc etc. So, when it comes to innocent language idioms in sports, really PETA?

For Immediate Release:
October 28, 2021

Moira Colley 202-483-7382

New York – As the World Series turns into a pitching duel, PETA is pitching a proposal to the baseball world: Strike out the word “bullpen,” which references the holding area where terrified bulls are kept before slaughter, in favor of a more modern, animal-friendly term. PETA’s suggestion? The arm barn!

“Words matter, and baseball ‘bullpens’ devalue talented players and mock the misery of sensitive animals,” says PETA Executive Vice President Tracy Reiman. “PETA encourages Major League Baseball coaches, announcers, players, and fans to changeup their language and embrace the ‘arm barn’ instead.”

PETA notes that cows are hung upside down and their throats are slit in the meat industry, while in rodeos, gentle bulls are tormented into kicking and bucking by being electro-shocked or prodded—all are typically held in a “bullpen” while they await their cruel fate.

PETA’s Call to the ‘Bullpen’: Rename Outdated Term ‘Arm Barn’ | PETA
I lost respect for PETA thirty years ago after some of their terrorists broke into my uncle’s lab at a medical school where he was doing experiments with rabbits while seeking a cure for leprosy. They freed several hundred caged lab rabbits, destroying years of research.

This is a fringe organization of zealots. They make a lot of noise and make the headlines, but they don’t represent the vast majority of us. Some of them are dangerous. A lot of animal lovers who don’t like cruelty to animals assume that they are on the same side, but that is not necessarily true. Better to donate to your local animal shelter to help them pay for spaying and neutering of strays and feral cats.