View Single Post

Old 11-16-2021, 07:37 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,875 Times in 949 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrref View Post
Has anyone replaced their electric hot water heater with a Rheem Marathon? If so, who installed it?

This water heater is an efficient non-metalic electric tank hot water heater. The reason why i'm interested in this specific heater is that it does not need an sacrificial anode rod like conventional metal heaters need to slow corrosion. The benefit is your hot water will not have that rotten egg smell from the magnesium anode rod deteriating from hard water like we have here in the Villages.

I've looked at tankless water heaters but Rheem makes a 40 and a 50 gallon "small" Marathon that is roughly the same size as the Rheem heater installed with the house if yours is located in the garage and should be simple to install.

When i called one of the popular plumbing companies they weren't familiar with this specific unit but would get back to me after doing some research.

Any feedback and or thoughs would be appreciated.
Truth, I'm no expert but I just looked. Home depo sells them so I expect they have people to install it for you. The ad shows the smallest is 75 gallons and they are electric. Our three bedroom home has a 50 gal electric hot water heater supplied by the builder and we do not run out of hot water. It is ten years old. As far as the anode, i bet few, INCLUDING ME, follow the instructions as far as draining it, checking the anode etc.

As far as rotten egg smell, I have a nose like a dog and I don't smell it. I would guess it is sulfur in your water. Are you on public water or a well? I don't think the anode is the cause. As far a magnesium anode. I'm not sure your have a magnesium anode they were, are sold as an up grade. I think they are usually aluminum. Far less expensive to replace the anode, if that is the problem, with a different material. In terms of a plastic tank, the heating rods are still metal and will be subject to attack-electrolysis.

As far as draining the tank, it is debatable. We have scale etc that settles to the bottom of the tank. When you open the valve stuff can lodge in the valve and it will leak.