View Single Post

Old 11-16-2021, 07:45 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,688 Times in 5,234 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVES View Post
Truth, I'm no expert but I just looked. Home depo sells them so I expect they have people to install it for you. The ad shows the smallest is 75 gallons and they are electric. Our three bedroom home has a 50 gal electric hot water heater supplied by the builder and we do not run out of hot water. It is ten years old. As far as the anode, i bet few, INCLUDING ME, follow the instructions as far as draining it, checking the anode etc.

As far as rotten egg smell, I have a nose like a dog and I don't smell it. I would guess it is sulfur in your water. Are you on public water or a well? I don't think the anode is the cause. As far a magnesium anode. I'm not sure your have a magnesium anode they were, are sold as an up grade. I think they are usually aluminum. Far less expensive to replace the anode, if that is the problem, with a different material. In terms of a plastic tank, the heating rods are still metal and will be subject to attack-electrolysis.

As far as draining the tank, it is debatable. We have scale etc that settles to the bottom of the tank. When you open the valve stuff can lodge in the valve and it will leak.
I would just point out that the Rheem manual doesn't even recommend draining the water heater, or checking the anode as maintenance procedures.