View Single Post

Old 11-22-2021, 09:09 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrref View Post
Of all the crazy things i've seen here in the Villages homes i can't figure out what they were thinking by installing the round Flowtite water enclosure and valve for the refrigerator ice maker/water. The problem is the hose from the valve to the Refrigerator will not last forever. Typically they need to be replaced every 5 years to avoid a hose failure. The way it's set up there is no way to replace the hose without replacing the valve and to do that it appears you need to remove the housing in the wall.

Has anyone replaced this yet and if so can you give me some tips on how to do this without damaging the wall behind the refrigerator?
I'm replacing that exact same thing tomorrow afternoon in a house my sister just bought.

The problem with these flowtite valves is they can score the CPVC to the point a sharkbite may not seal perfectly.

They do just twist and pull, usually the black ring with teeth on it pulls out of the valve.

If the pipe is hosed, you'll have no choice but to open up the wall a bit below the valve. Pop a sharkbite coupler on the clean pipe below, add a small piece of 1/2 CPVC and attach a good sharkbite valve with 1/4 compression outlet to your new piece of CPVC.