View Single Post

Old 11-24-2021, 01:49 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,591 Times in 5,188 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathyspear View Post
Prices are high in foreign countries so people should go to Hawaii instead? Seriously? Besides the 12 or so hour flight each way, prices in HI are insane. This is true of any island where goods have to be brought in.

Caribbean islands have one thing in common with the U.S. -- there are lovely areas in each state and areas that one is well-advised to avoid. Same goes for the islands.

Your comments remind me of "The Accidental Tourist" by Anne Tyler. Great book, made into an excellent movie.

kathy
Sorry, but having travelled a lot, I stand by my recommendation. I always felt like I was getting ripped off in foreign countries, and it was often not safe. Not just crime, but the lack of road safety provisions, food safety, medical care, utilities, etc. I will never forget the bus ride in Mexico from the airport to the hotel. The tires had no tread (as an engineer, I check these things), and the driver was speeding on winding roads, with inadequate guard rails, along a hilly road overlooking the ocean. But, thanks for the movie recommendation.